Monday, December 20, 2010

"Reflections" and self portraits


I forgot to mention in the last post that the painting called "Reflections,"  also included two small self portraits ("SP") of the artist.
This "SP" is "reflected" in the center of the bottle. Here, Duphiney stands with his pallette in his right hand.  With his left hand he is applying paint to a canvas. Of course, this is an artifact of the SP -- he was right handed but the image was created from a reflected surface -- like looking in a mirror; right is left and left is right.
This "SP" is "reflected" in the upper right of the bottle. Again, Duphiney appears to be holding the pallette in his right and painting with his left -- but as stated above this would be a "mirror" image.


 I say, "of course" but once I saw this, I had to look at other studio pictures to be sure I was right. The others do indicate that he was a right handed painter. Not important, just interesting (to me anyway).

UPDATE (Feb 2011)
OMG! I just got a color photograph of "Reflections" from family!  WOW!  Here it is in color:

No comments:

Post a Comment