Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh, the power of the internet!

Wow, 20-something years ago, when I took on this project last, it was so hard to know who ANY of these people were with the little information on the back of an image.  Today, I found info on Tolman, Mathewson, Dunne! I think, rather than starting this project "late", I had started it too early!

When finding info on former Providence Mayor James E. Dunne, I found a link that connected to cropped image of the paining -- albeit very poor quality -- but it gave a hint of the beautiful color in the portrait, rather than these b&w and sepia images I am scanning.  Ahhh color, you make my heart sing! But for now, these images and spartan notes are doing swimmingly!  http://www.pbase.com/laura_sebastianelli/image/131022498

UPDATE 4/5/2011:  Be sure to see a later post http://duphineysfacesofri.blogspot.com/2010/12/looking-around-studio.html. It is a photo of Mayor Dunne sitting for the portrait as my grandfather paints early in the process (or it least it is staged to look as such).



No comments:

Post a Comment